I fell in love with French toast over the summer while on my J1 in California, so when I came home I was determined to find a macro-friendly version! I don’t think anything will beat the Nutella-stuffed French toast of ‘La Note’, a cute little French café in Berkeley, but this comes pretty close!
The recipe is super versatile, so feel free to experiment with different kinds of bread, protein powder, toppings etc.. I use chia and wholegrain bread from Aldi, but any kind of bread will do! There are so many options for toppings – maple syrup, sugar free syrup, nutella, choc shot, fruit, nut butter, chocolate chips, yoghurt, quark, bacon.. Don’t be afraid to get creative! I have some more ideas down below too.
- 2 slices of bread
- 100g egg whites (roughly 2 egg whites)
- 25g protein powder
- 50ml milk (I use almond milk)
- Low calorie spray or oil for cooking
- Toppings of your choice
- Add the egg whites, protein powder, and milk to a shaker cup
- Shake until smooth, then transfer into a wide-rim bowl
- Heat up a non-stick frying pan on the hob and add oil/spray
- Dip each slice of bread into the bowl containing the mixture, and coat both sides evenly
- Add the slices to the pan, and flip over once golden brown
- Transfer onto a plate, add toppings, and enjoy!
Macros per serving (without toppings) – 32g Carbs 6g Fat 38g Protein 350kcal
French Toasted topped with fresh raspberries and MyProtein butterscotch syrup
French toast drizzled with Nutella and raspberries
French toast with berries, choc shot, and melted biscoff
French toast with banana, dark chocolate chips, and choc shot