Zoats (aka zucchini oats) are my current favourite breakfast! The recipe is super simple and easy to make, perfect for when you’re busy in the mornings. There’s so much more volume than regular porridge, so you’ll be fuller longer, with only marginally more calories, and the added benefit of an extra serving of veggies. I promise you can’t taste the courgette!
- 40g oats
- 1 medium courgette
- 150g egg whites
- 25g protein powder of choice
- 10g cacao or cocoa powder
- Sweetener of choice – I like to use MyProtein toffee flavdrops or sugar free syrup (optional)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice)
- Toppings of choice – I love berries, nut butter and cinnamon, but feel free to experiment
- Grate the courgette finely into a saucepan.
- Add the oats and milk to the saucepan, and stir together.
- Heat the mixture on low heat, stirring continuously until thick – about 5 minutes.
- Whisk the egg whites until white and fluffy – alternatively you can add them to a shaker and shake for about 30 seconds.
- Stir the egg whites into the thickened oats.
- Continue stirring for another 5 or so minutes until the egg whites are cooked into the oats – the stirring is key, if not you’ll end up with scrambled egg whites!
- Add in the protein powder, cacao powder, and sweetener (if using) and mix until combined.
- Transfer into a bowl to serve, add your toppings of choice, and enjoy!
Per serving (without toppings) – 418 Kcal, 48g Protein, 38g Carbs, 7g Fat